Monday, March 2, 2015

In the Business of Planning

What is 20% time?
20% time is an idea created by Google which allows it's employees to use 20% of their time at work to work on any projects they want. Google gives their employees this creative freedom in hopes of them inventing and fixing Google products. This idea recently came to the attention of many teachers; sparking the 20% time in many classrooms across the world.

The essential question
What does it take to create a business?

What have you chosen to be your 20% Time Project? Why did you choose this? How does your project choice answer the essential question?
For my 20% time project, I have chosen to create a business plan for an event center. I chose to do this because I have thought a lot about what it would be like to make an event center, and I saw this as an opportunity to truly understand what it would be like. By creating a business plan, I will learn what is takes to create an event center.

What are your goals?
My goal for this project is to understand everything that is needed to create a business. I hope to achieve this goal by creating a business plan.

How will you measure your progress/achievement?
My progress will be measure by projecting what I will learn and do by certain dates and seeing whether or not I achieve or exceed those projections.

This blog
This blog will track the progress, findings, and obstacles that I will experience throughout the project.

4 comments:

  1. Amir I really like your true aspiration and desire to start a successful business. So far your business plan seems solid and because of that I recommend you to go around and find angel investors who would be interested to implement money into your business. If you plan on using a portion of your personal money to get the business running I would recommend you to start a fundraiser of some sort to direct the flow of cash to your business. Some questions that linger in mind include: How are you going to attract customers to your business? Are you going to advertise your business through social media? through a website?. If you have a plan set for those questions I believe your going to make a great business.
    - Shayan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, being pretty business savvy myself (aka planning to major in business in college), I think this is a really cool idea! How detailed is your business plan going to be? For example, are you going to include details like how you'll get investors to how you will market the place once it's ready? If yes, I suggest you look to successful hotels for inspiration. They tend to have huge ballrooms they rent out to weddings, business meetings, etc. Good luck and I look forward to seeing your finished plan! :)

    -April

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amir! I think it's a super cool idea to create/show the process of creating a business plan. There's definitely a wide audience that want to start a business but don't know how to execute a plan. Im curious to see, how do you plan on finding resources for your business plan?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amir I really like your business plan that was presented a couple of weeks ago. I understand that starting a business has its ups and downs. Creating a Business template is very important I really like how persistent you are with approaching a specific business plan. I was curious if there has been any changes to your plan over the course of the few weeks or is the original plan still in action. Overall keep up the awesome work!
    - Shayan Moraveji

    ReplyDelete